Max's Maldives Adventure Day Two

Max's Maldives Adventure Day Two

Authored By Max Konig 0 Comment(s)

We woke up the next day, had breakfast at the hotel and got picked up by the dive boat that The Manthiri uses. Just as a warning, expect to wake up at 2 am thinking it’s time to get up; it’s not, your body is just lying to you. Anyways, back to The Manthiri. We got on the boat and were greeted by the crew and a refreshing coconut (drinking coconut water straight out of the coconut is very popular here; it’s our equivalent to having a beer at lunch). We got the tour of the boat and were briefed on how the trip was going to go.  The Manthiri is a unique liveaboard in the sense that the diving is done off of a separate smaller boat.  This means that all of the gear, tanks, and compressors are not on the main boat, giving us a lot more living space.  The rooms are spacious and each has its own bathroom.  There are 6 cabins, 2 having queen beds and the others having twin beds.  There are also 11 crew members, making the ratio of crew to guest almost 1 to 1, which is almost unheard of on liveaboards.  I imagine we will be well taken care of on this trip.

This is an abbreviated trip to get an idea of how the trips usually go so we are going to be doing fewer dives so that we can hit all of the highlight spots.  Usually, the trip ia 9-10 days but we are trying to cover the same area in 7 days.  So that we had a little more time to travel we only did 1 dive but most trips will be 2.

This is my first time diving outside of the western hemisphere so I was incredibly excited to get into the water.  And boy did it not disappoint.  We dove a pinnacle that sloped down to 100’ and had a wreck at the bottom.  There was an immense amount of colorful fish everywhere.  It was hard to look around and not see something interesting.  There was a decent amount of life around the wreck but the pinnacle was the highlight.  The most unique thing was the thorny oysters that were all over the wall.  They looked like giant scallops with various amounts of growth on them but had beautiful frilly bits in their mouths.   Taking pictures of them was fairly challenging because:

  1. they would close their mouths as you got close and
  2. this is my first time trying to take pictures underwater.

As we swam around the pinnacle the explored swim throughs and found lots of schooling fish.  There were various species and tuna were darting through the bait balls.  It was a very cool experience to see.  I even got to see anemone fish nestled in their homes!  I really enjoyed seeing the density of life as well as the different species that you simply don’t find in the Caribbean. Tomorrow we go out in search of sharks and other life!  I will keep you guys updated on what I find!


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published


To Top